At the foothills of Mt Othrys/Lakes Zerelia: where the meteorites visited us 10,000 years ago…
In hidden parts, you always encounter many secrets.
The plain of Almyros stretches out at the foothills of Othrys. The history of today’s Almyros must be sought for in ancient Alos, the homeland of Achilles, an important and populated city, known for its port and its role in the Persian Wars.
To the north of Almyros are the Phthiotides Thebes, or Thessalikes Thebes, famous ancient cities of Thessaly, close to the village of Mikrothebes Magnesias and Nea Agchialo.
Part of the area are also the Zerelia lakes, that inspire mystery and wonder. These are two lakes with a circular shape, located 4 km southwest of the city of Almyros at an altitude of 130 meters above sea level, in the northern foothills of Othrys. To the east of the large lake there is a small hillock (Magoula). A prehistoric settlement has been found here. Their lies to their meteorite origins: they are twin craters formed when a meteorite crashed into the earth 12,500- 8,000 years ago.
They are one of a kind in Greece, while in Europe there are no more than 40 similar cases. Their wetland is of exceptional interest and so does the prehistoric habitation in the region of Magoula-Zerelia and neighboring Karatzantagli. In the Archaeological Museum of Almyros you will discover the finds from the archaeological research that was undertaken in the region , which cover various cultural periods and certify the human presence and development from the Neolithic years up to the Hellenistic periods.
Read More About Our Package and get Inspired
The services included in the program:
1. Transfer by bus/mini bus from airport of Thessaloniki or Volos airport or another upon request to the hotel and return (days 1 and 4).
2. Transfer by bus/mini bus from hotel in Volos in the foothills of Othrys and the lakes Zerelia and return to the hotel (day 2).
Transfer by bus/mini bus from hotel in Volos to Mikrothives and Almyros and return to the hotel (day 3).
Three (3) nights in double standard room.
5. Three (3) breakfasts.
6. Three (3) dinners.
Disposal of a hotel meeting room for the group’s briefing (day 1).
8. Disposal of a hotel meeting room and audiovisual material for presentation (days 2 & 3).
9. Escort (days 1, 2, 3, 4).
10. Guide – Archaeologist for the presentation of the region, the myths, legends, and archaeological finds (days 2 & 3).
11. Visit and tour in the archaeological sites in Mikrothives and Almyros (day 3).
Visit and tour in ancient Iolkos (day 4).