Daily trip to Meteora from Volos
At the northwest edge of the Plain of Thessaly, between the mountain of Pindos and Antichasia and near Peneios river, the stone giants of Meteora stand still and silent. Their proud and imposing aspect discontinues the monotony of the vast Thessalic plain. The rocks stand right above Kalambaka and the picturesque Kastraki, full of awe and beauty.A daily excursion combines the unique experience that Meteora, also known also as “The Stone Forest” offer with the religious sentiment created by their Monasteries. The journey to Meteora starts from Volos and other resorts in Pelion. We pass by the cities of Larisa, Trikala and Kalambaka. After arriving in Kalambaka, we shortly after reach the massively impressive rocks of Meteora that take one’s breath away.We learn about the monarchy of the 11th century and have also the chance to visit two of the historical monasteries. Usually visiting the Monasteries of Agios Stefano, Big Meteoro, Varlaam or Agio Nikolao, depending on the day that excursion occurs. Afterwards, we start our descend to Kastraki, where we can have a meal in a traditional Greek tavern enjoying the view. The trip continues across the Thessalian plain towards Volos (appr.3 hours).There, (according to your choice) we can also spend some time to see the town or drink a coffee.
Price per person depends on the number of participants and there is also a minimum number of participants in order to organise this tour.Please inquire a booking so as to advise the corresponding price.
- Transfers by modern air-conditioned buses from Volos or Pelion to Meteora and returning back to our place.
- English speaking tourist guides with thorough knowledge on Meteora region history and culture (or other language if necessary)
- Meal in Kastraki or Kalampaka city
- Entry tickets for the Monasteries
- Travel and Liability insurance
- Experienced guide from Les Hirondelles travel agency
- All legal taxes
What you should have with you:
- Trekking shoes,
- Hat, comfortable clothes
- Sun protection
- Sun glasses,
The final schedule will be determined by the tour leader as will be affected by resort starting points and number of participants.
- The Byzantine art in the monasteries
- Breath taking view to the Thessalian plain from the top of the rocks.