At the foothills of Mt Othrys/Lakes Zerelia.
At the foothills of Mt Othrys/Lakes Zerelia
: where the meteorites visited us 10,000 years ago…
In hidden parts, you always encounter many secrets.
The plain of Almyros stretches out at the foothills of Othrys. The history of today’s Almyros must be sought for in ancient Alos, the homeland of Achilles, an important and populated city, known for its port and its role in the Persian Wars.
To the north of Almyros are the Phthiotides Thebes, or Thessalikes Thebes, famous ancient cities of Thessaly, close to the village of Mikrothebes Magnesias and Nea Agchialo.
Part of the area are also the Zerelia lakes, that inspire mystery and wonder. These are two lakes with a circular shape, located 4 km southwest of the city of Almyros at an altitude of 130 meters above sea level, in the northern foothills of Othrys. To the east of the large lake there is a small hillock (Magoula). A prehistoric settlement has been found here. Their lies to their meteorite origins: they are twin craters formed when a meteorite crashed into the earth 12,500- 8,000 years ago. They are one of a kind in Greece, while in Europe there are no more than 40 similar cases. Their wetland is of exceptional interest and so does the prehistoric habitation in the region of Magoula-Zerelia and neighboring Karatzantagli. In the Archaeological Museum of Almyros you will discover the finds from the archaeological research that was undertaken in the region , which cover various cultural periods and certify the human presence and development from the Neolithic years up to the Hellenistic periods.
Description: In the foothills of Mount Othrys: Where meteorites visited us before 10,000 years…
Type: Tour in the nature, Greek mythology, Culture and Tradition
Area: Southwest Magnesia, Mount Othrys-Thessaly
Duration: 4 days / 3 overnights
Accommodation: In a 3 star hotel
Board: Halfboard (dinner)
Traveler Type: Sightseer
The services included in the program:
1. Transfer by bus/mini bus from airport of Thessaloniki or Volos airport or another upon request to the hotel and return (days 1 and 4).
2. Transfer by bus/mini bus from hotel in Volos in the foothills of Othrys and the lakes Zerelia and return to the hotel (day 2).
- Transfer by bus/mini bus from hotel in Volos to Mikrothives and Almyros and return to the hotel (day 3).
- Three (3) nights in double standard room.
5. Three (3) breakfasts.
6. Three (3) dinners.
- Disposal of a hotel meeting room for the group’s briefing (day 1).
8. Disposal of a hotel meeting room and audiovisual material for presentation (days 2 & 3).
9. Escort (days 1, 2, 3, 4).
10. Guide – Archaeologist for the presentation of the region, the myths, legends, and archaeological finds (days 2 & 3).
11. Visit and tour in the archaeological sites in Mikrothives and Almyros (day 3).
- Visit and tour in ancient Iolkos (day 4).
A TRAVELER’S EXPERIENCE
We had just reached the Zerelia lakes, the awe that I felt seeing such a place where thousands of years before, 12,000 years approximately, two craters were formed after the collision of a meteorite, was powerful and gripped me, when our companion informed us that these were the only ones in Greece, while in Europe there are no more than 40 such cases and over the whole planet 178.
Reviews Scores and Score Breakdown
Aliquam lorem ante, dapibus in, viverra quis, feugiat a, tellus. Phasellus viverra nulla ut metus varius laoreet. Quisque rutrum. Aenean imperdiet. Etiam ultricies nisi vel augue. Curabitur ullamcorper ultricies